The Computer Department at Rutherford High School is one of the most comprehensive in the state of New Jersey. The school/district is equipped with mobile learning labs, SmartBoards, computer rooms, mini-labs, an enterprise-level wireless network installed during the Spring/Summer of 2012, private fiber connecting the district’s locations, and technology is seamlessly integrated in all content areas.
At Rutherford High School computer classes are offered in both the Computer Education Department and through the Business Education Department.
Classes We Offer
- Computer Programming 1 – Students learn the computer programming language BASIC and are introduced to object-oriented programming. This course provides a foundation for more advanced computer programming languages and computer design.
- Multimedia Design – Students are introduced to the conceptual, technical, and visual design skills required to create interactive multimedia applications and environments. Students learn the professional applications of such software as Adobe Flash, Adobe Photoshop, iMovie, and GarageBand, or equivalent digital imaging, animation, motion graphics and audio tool software in addition to computer game design. Course requirements include critiquing, storyboarding, retouching and modifying images, video and sound editing principles, motion graphics, text effects, as well as basic and advanced scripting.
- Computer Programming C++ – Students learn the computer language C++ — one of the most widely used programming languages for developing portable application software. Students are taught problem-solving and program development using object-oriented design, and structured programming techniques. Students design, construct, and test programs with primarily scientific, mathematical, and business applications.
- AP Computer Science JAVA – The major emphasis in the AP Computer Science course is on programming methodology, algorithms,
and data structures. Material covered in this course prepares students for the AP Computer Science Examination.
- Introduction to JAVA – The Java language is the standard teaching programming language in most universities today. Students are introduced to object-oriented programming in Java. This course focuses on problem-solving and algorithm development in a graphical environment.
- Also see the Business-related computer offerings located under the Business Education Department.
Mr. Steve Dunn
Mr. Michael Mayerczak
Mrs. Margaret Nastasi
Business Education/Computer Teachers
Mrs. Carol Drewes
Mrs. Judy Leonard
Mrs. Lindsay Richmond
Mr. Mike Kivowitz, Network Systems Administrator / Computer Technician & Webmaster
Mr. Christopher Richmond, Network Systems Administrator / Computer Technician & Webmaster
Mr. CR Hetzel / Network Technician
Mrs. Laura O’Connor, Secretary
Computer Department Supervisor
Ms. Barbara O’Donnell, Supervisor of Computer Technology and Business Education, came to the Rutherford School District in 1991 as a Business Education teacher and was promoted to supervisor of Business Education, Family and Consumer Sciences, and Technology in 1999. In 2005, Ms. O’Donnell became the district Supervisor of Computer Technology and Business Education. A graduate of Montclair State University (College), Ms. O’Donnell has a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Office Systems Administration. She earned her Master’s degree in education with a concentration in computers in 1998 from William Paterson University. She earned her supervisory certification from New Jersey City University.
Ms. O’Donnell has served on numerous committees during her tenure in Rutherford. These committees include: Accreditation for Growth – Strategic Planning Committee/Action Plan Committee for Technology, National Honor Society Selection Committee, and Grant Committee for Technology. In addition, Ms. O’Donnell has been closely involved in providing teacher training in the area of computers and technology to the faculty, staff, and administration of the Rutherford School District. She along with her team oversee the student management system (PowerSchool) and all network services.