PRINCIPAL’S PARENT HOTLINE
Our school year is flying by and we have officially crossed the midway point of the year. Please review with your children what you expect them to do if an emergency closing is called after the start of the school day. In the event of an emergency closing, students will be dismissed at 12:20 p.m. After school care is canceled on emergency closing days. If you are not available to pick your children up at school, it is imperative that they know what to do and where to go.
The Parent Portal opened on February 3 for parents of students in grades 4-6. The Parent Portal provides parents with the ability to log in and get real time, online access to their child’s’ grade and attendance information. Letters were sent home providing an access code and detailing how to set up your account. Additionally, a parent education video has been posted on the Pierrepont website to walk you through the process of setting up your Parent Portal log in.
Our sixth graders will begin planning for seventh grade. Students will be visiting Union School on February 23 and February (homerooms will be assigned a specific date.) Mr. Schweitzer, the Union Middle School principal, sent out information regarding a middle school parent orientation.
Pierrepont students will take the PARCC from March 27-April 4. Detailed information about the testing schedule will be sent home soon.
The Books and Beyond program is moving forward with great success. Students in grades four and five are reminded to continue recording their minutes. Students have until the end of the month to complete their minutes. Mark your calendars for the graduation breakfast that will be held on Thursday, April 27 for grade 4 and Friday, April 28 for grade 5. I have issued a special “Principal’s Challenge” for Books and Beyond. If 90% or more of our 4th and 5th graders graduate from the program the students will earn an afternoon karaoke party one day in the spring!
Please continue to clip, save, and send in Box Tops for Education!
- School will be closed on Friday, February 17 and Monday, February 20 for winter recess.
- The Books and Beyond reading incentive program for students in grades 4-5 began on January 17. Please encourage your children to participate in the program. We look forward to recognizing the students who meet the challenge at the graduation ceremony in April.
- The second marking period closed on January 20. Reports cards were issued on February 1 to students. Paper report cards will no longer issued for quarters 3 and 4. Parents will log into to the Parent Portal to view marking period grades.
- With the cold weather upon us, we will utilize “Operation Umbrella” for morning drop off until further notice. Grades 4 will be report to the MPR and grades 5 and 6 will report to the gymnasium.
- We will continue to go outdoors at lunchtime throughout the school year (weather permitting.) It is important that students are dressed appropriately to be outdoors.
- Pierrpont School will celebrate Read Across America Day on March 2nd with a Spirit Day. Students and staff are encouraged to come to school dressed as their favorite book character!