Our school year is flying by and we have officially crossed the midway point of the year. Please review with your children what you expect them to do if an emergency closing is called after the start of the school day. In the event of an emergency closing, students will be dismissed at 12:20 p.m. After school care is canceled on emergency closing days. If you are not available to pick your children up at school, it is imperative that they know what to do and where to go.
The district has been busily preparing for the reorganization. Curriculum for new cycle classes at Pierrepont are in the final stages of preparation and myriad electives classes for Union School are being created. The teachers have started to meet together to familiarize themselves with the buildings and Mr. Schweitzer, the Union School principal, and I have traded places for a day in order to have a chance to meet some of the students who will assigned to new buildings. The Transition Committee, which is comprised of administrators, teachers, and parents will hold its first meeting on February 3rd. The Transportation Committee will begin meetings shortly.
Mrs. Villano is retiring at the end of the month after twenty-six years. Staff, students, and parents will dearly miss her. I know you all join me in thanking her for her years of service and wishing her the best in her retirement. Please join me in welcoming Mrs. Cecelia Andler to the Pierrepont staff. Mrs. Andler will spend several days transitioning with Mrs. Villano is excited to be working as a secretary in the main office.
- Pierrepont School will be celebrating “Red Day” on February 5 in honor of the Americans Heart Association’s National Wear Read Day.
- School will be closed on Friday, February 12 and Monday, February 15 for winter recess.
- The Books and Beyond reading incentive program for students in grades 4-5 began on January 19. Please encourage your children to participate in the program. We look forward to recognizing the students who meet the challenge at the graduation ceremony on April 22.
- Parents are invited to join us in the MPR from 6- 7 p.m. on Wednesday, February 24 to view the 8th grade Science Fair projects.
- The second marking period closes on February 2. Reports cards will be issued on February 11 to students in grades 4 and 5. Parents of students in grades 6-8 can log into the Parental Portal after February 11 to view quarter 2 final grades.
- With the cold weather upon us, we will utilize “Operation Umbrella” for morning drop off until further notice. Grades 4-6 will be report to the MPR and grades 7-8 will report to the gymnasium.
- We will continue to go outdoors at lunchtime throughout the school year (weather permitting.) It is important that students are dressed appropriately to be outdoors.