The Kindergarten Center staff has identified various areas for parents to consider to further support individual student growth. Please review and be reflective of how you can support your child to grow as you see fit.
- Independently packing and unpacking backpack including carrying their own bags without parent assistance as well as packing and unpacking homework at home.
- Dressing- Putting on and taking off jackets and sweatshirts, practicing tying shoes, and independently zipping, buttoning and snapping clothing.
- Independent toileting and awareness (speaking up when need to go) should be mastered.
- Having expectations for your child to do things on their own or to try on their own first.
Communication and Safety:
- Stating full name (first and last), birthday, age and address.
- Identifying and being able to share their parents full names.
- Knowing an emergency phone number.
- Listening and following directions.
- At this age, students often have a difficult time telling about their day. To help promote communication about their day at school, ask specific questions such as what activity did you do with Mr. Foster; How many songs did you practice in Music with Mr. Sheridan; Did your teacher read a story out loud?
- Using please and thank you.
- Waiting to speak without interrupting someone and waiting to take turns in a game or activity.
- Sitting during meals.
- Looking at someone when they are speaking.