Kindergarten is an exciting year of development as the world around your child begins to come alive through the power of reading. Students begin to recognize words in their environment and the meanings and emotions behind words. This soon grows to recognizing words in print and in context as their skills develop. To help promote a love of reading at home, consider the following:
- Make a routine of reading to and with your child daily.
- Talk about books that you have read together.
- Visit the library or book stores.
- Bring books to life by having your child act the story out as you read to to retell the story in their own words.
- Make books available to them to browse at their leisure.