Summer Reading 2020 – Just READ!
(For AP English classes at RHS, scroll to the bottom of the page … Otherwise read on …)
Our message to parents/guardians: Research tells us that students are overstressed, overworked, and overtired. Experience tells us that when a student is forced to read, they may comply, but they may not truly benefit. To that end, the Rutherford Public Schools will continue the philosophy put in place in 2019 for summer reading: Just READ! We hope you encourage your child to read – just because. No essays, no projects, no required texts. Just READ!
Our message to students: Just READ something this summer. Then read something else. Enjoy it. We know forcing you to read won’t make you a life-long reader. In fact, it may have the opposite effect. So, go read something you like. Tell your friends about it. Tell your family about it. But DON’T write an essay about it! DON’T make a poster! DON’T keep a record of vocab words! Use that time to go read another book! Just READ!
We’ve got some suggestions, but that’s all they are. Find something you will enjoy and Just READ! Happy Summer!
If you WANT to tell your teacher about something GREAT that you read, please look below and use the form for your grade and turn it in on the first day of school. You’ll get a homework pass if you do! (One pass per student).
Questions or Comments, please email Mr. Brian Ersalesi, Supervisor of English and Arts
Suggested Books for Enjoyable Summer Reading
Students Entering AP Language and Composition in September 2020
- Read Thank You For Arguing, 3rd Edition by Jay Heinrichs
- Complete the Study Guide (Print it out and handwrite)
- Complete the Writing Assignments (Typewritten on GoogleDocs)
- Questions: Email Mrs. Nicole Bowden
Students Entering AP Literature and Composition in September 2020
- Read Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton
- Read How to Read Literature Like a Professor: A Lively and Entertaining Guide to Reading Between the Lines by Thomas C. Foster
- Complete the Summer Assignment
- Questions: Email Mr. Jason Narozny
Have a WONDERFUL SUMMER!