The information contained here can also be found in the following document for future reference.
Rutherford Public School students in grades 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 as well as anyone in grades K-5 who borrowed a Chromebook have the great opportunity to utilize their district-issued Chromebook for learning during the summer months. Students are encouraged to use their Chromebooks over the summer to pursue hobbies and other interests as long as those pursuits would be appropriate on a school-issued device.
Even if a student does not intend to use the Chromebook over the summer, families will need to store it at home. Keeping the Chromebook over the summer guarantees that the student will have access to it on the very first day of school.
Please follow the recommended summer Chromebook care so that it will be ready to be used in September:
- Avoid heat and direct sunlight. Do not leave the Chromebook in a car.
If the Chromebook battery is allowed to discharge below 1%, it may enter a permanent failure mode rendering it USELESS over the summer and when school starts in September.
- If your Chromebook WILL NOT BE USED OVER THE SUMMER BREAK, please place it in “storage mode”.
- Connect the Chromebook to the charger (AC Adapter) and turn it on. Charge it to at least 80%.
- With the charger still connected to the Chromebook, put the Chromebook in “Battery Cut-off mode”.
- While holding these keys, remove the charger from the Chromebook, and then release the keys. The Chromebook should shut down and remain off.
- Attempt to power the Chromebook on using the power button.
- If the unit does not power on, you have completed the steps and can safely store the Chromebook.
- If the unit powers on, you should repeat steps 2 to 5.
- Store it in a cool, dry place, and between 70°F – 78°F
- When you wish to use it again, connect the Chromebook to a charger and a power source and power up your device.
- If your Chromebook WILL BE USED PERIODICALLY OVER THE SUMMER BREAK make sure to keep it plugged in and charged. Never let the battery discharge below 1%.
We wish everyone a safe and enjoyable summer.