The following details the summer procedures regarding the district’s 1:1 Chromebook program.
Grade 6, Grade 8, and Grade 12 Students
As the end of the school year approaches, we wanted to reach out to you concerning our 1:1 Chromebook program. In June, Chromebooks will be collected from students in Grade 6, Grade 8, and Grade 12. Similar to checking for damage to textbooks and other district-issued supplies, each school will establish a procedure for the check-out process.
A fee will be charged for damaged Chromebooks. The items that will be charged are included below in the fee chart.
If you have insurance, certain accidental damage will be covered. Please refer to the individual insurance policy.
Each school will be establishing their own collection procedure. Additional information will be distributed on a school-by-school basis.
Grade 7, Grade 9, Grade 10, and Grade 11 Students
As the end of the school year approaches, we wanted to reach out to you concerning our 1:1 Chromebook program. Students in grades 7, 9, 10, and 11 will continue to have access to their Chromebooks by taking their devices home during the summer months.
Students are encouraged to use their devices over the summer to complete summer assignments and to pursue hobbies and other interests as long as those pursuits would be appropriate on a school-issued device. Examples include reading, writing, computer coding, researching colleges and careers, and STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math) activities.
Even if a student does not intend to use the device over the summer, families will need to store the device at home. Doing so guarantees that the student will have access to their Chromebook on the very first day of school. These devices do not require regular maintenance over the summer and can be safely stored on a shelf with the charger nearby.
During the summer, all Chromebooks will continue to be filtered according to local, state, and federal policies and will remain the property of Rutherford Public Schools.
Each school will be establishing a check-out/inspection procedure. A fee will be charged for damaged Chromebooks. The items that will be charged for include:
If you have insurance, certain accidental damage will be covered. Please refer to your individual policy.
Within the coming weeks, additional information will be distributed from Union School and Rutherford High School.
Chromebook Fee Chart
Summer Chromebook Tips
- Keep Chromebooks away from pets or young children.
- Avoid heat and direct sunlight. Do not leave the Chromebook in a car.
- Avoid liquids – beware of wet swimsuits and towels.
- Keep Chromebooks plugged into a surge protector when they are not in use.
- Lack of charging may result in damage to the battery.
- There is limited IT/Technical support over the summer.
- Chromebooks that need repairs may be brought to the main office of your child’s school between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm Monday – Thursday. A repair form
(https://goo.gl/forms/FOf5DQyHGeiOl3G13) must accompany the Chromebook.
- While Chromebooks will be repaired as quickly as possible, replacements are not available over the summer.
- The student will be contacted by email when their Chromebook is ready to be picked up.
- The parent will be contacted if there are any fees that must be paid before repairs are made.
- Broken chargers must be returned along with $20 before receiving a new one.
- A lost or stolen device must be reported immediately to the main office of your child’s school.
If you will not be enrolled as a student at Rutherford Public Schools next fall, you must return your Chromebook and charger to your school office.
This information will also be sent home through our notification system.